ML128: Martin Schmalz on Futureproofing Yourself in the Age of AI, The Business of Big Data and Protecting Your Privacy Online
Martin Schmalz is an Associate Professor of Finance at Oxford’s Saïd Business School. He is also the co-author of the book The Business of Big Data: How to Create Lasting Value in the Age of AI – and he was introduced to me by Uri Bram who I’ve had on the show twice before here and here.
You don’t need to have been paying much attention to the world in recent years to notice that Artificial Intelligence is a big deal.
Global politicians and business leaders like Elon Musk and Bill Gates are talking more and more about how AI is going to change the world dramatically. Meanwhile billions of dollars are being spent by businesses as they try to gather data and run AI algorithms on it to try and predict your behaviour, not to mention the arms race going on between the US and China at the national level.
But what does this all mean for you? What skills should you be learning to become future proof and what do you need to know about how these businesses operate to protect your privacy online? That’s what this episode is all about and in it we discuss:
- The mainstream narrative around artificial intelligence and what you actually need to know
- The uniquely human skills we should be developing to thrive in a world with AI
- How the business of big data affects your privacy and what to do about it
We also talk about Martin’s experience in academia and his own learning projects – he’s learned to fly a plane and speaks 7 languages amongst other things. Regardless of your understanding of AI, this episode will give you a lot to chew on and get you thinking critically about the way you learn and live with technology.
Sign up to my weekly newsletter and you'll get:
- 5x Video Lessons on the 5 key MetaLearning Principles
- 5x One-Page Cheatsheets to help you apply each principle
- The Learning Toolkit featuring my top 10 learning Apps
Enter Your Details Below for Instant Access