Caroline Crampton is a podcaster, writer and media commentator.
She makes a popular podcast about detective fiction called Shedunnit and writes for two email newsletters about podcasts - Hot Pod and The Listener.
She also writes narrative non-fiction, like her book The Way to the Sea and produces book reviews, interviews and columns for publications like the Mail on Sunday, the Guardian and the New Humanist.
As a podcast creator and reviewer, Caroline spends several hours a day listening to podcasts and she understands the ins and outs of the space better than almost anyone. In this episode we discuss:
- What Caroline looks for in a good podcast and her current listening habits
- The business of media and why podcasts are growing so fast
- How to make creative work that builds a loyal audience – Caroline still has a cult following from her pop culture Podcast SRSLY
So if you’re keen to learn more about podcasting, writing and the creative process, this episode has you covered.
- Introducing Caroline [00:40]
- What has school been like for Caroline? [02:30]
- How did Caroline’s secondary school English teacher inspire her while she was still studying? [03:04]
- What major did Caroline end up pursuing in university and what was her first job after graduation? [04:54]
- How did Caroline wind up in podcast curation, which seemed like a completely niche profession at the time she started? [07:35]
- What comprises a good podcast? [09:04]
- What listening habits have Caroline developed over time and what does a normal week look like for her? [10:06]
- Caroline on what makes an objectively good podcast or if it all boils down to preference [13:01]
- How was Caroline’s experience producing and co-hosting her previous hit podcast SRSLY? [15:44]
- What factors does Caroline think contributed to SRSLY’s success and popularity? [17:37]
- Why has podcasting blown up in recent years? [20:00]
- Caroline on why she thinks podcasting will be able to maintain and continue its surge in popularity [22:54]
- How does Caroline view the current models of how podcasts are funded? How do they affect the experience of a listener? [24:43]
- What is the value of marketing when it comes to podcasting? What tactics should creators consider employing when promoting their podcasts? [28:31]
- How does Caroline filter the creative projects she works on? [31:22]
- Where did Caroline draw inspiration from for her podcast Shedunnit? What is her creative process like for the show? [32:27]
- What things did Caroline discover while she was writing her book The Way To The Sea? [35:38]
- How long did the entire process of writing The Way To The Sea take? What was her daily routine like during that period? [38:23]
- Who is Caroline’s favourite podcast interviewer? What are the qualities of a good interviewer? [41:52]
- Caroline’s top three podcasts as of the moment [43:22]
- Who, dead or alive, does Caroline want to interview the most? [45:32]
- Closing remarks [46:18]
✉️ The Listener