ML142: Matt Clifford on Organising Genius, The State of Technology Entrepreneurship and Solving the Innovation Problem
Matt Clifford is the CEO and co-founder of the world's leading talent investor, Entrepreneur First.
I previously had Matt on the podcast back in episode 88, where we spoke about the qualities of successful entrepreneurs, the environmental characteristics that produce startup hubs and his lessons from building hundreds of startups.
After that conversation Entrepreneur First became a client, and I built up their content over the course of a year and half, meeting some amazing entrepreneurs from all over the world. I finished up at EF last year but have been following Matt's excellent newsletter, Thoughts in Between, where he shares his view of the world touching on Technology, Politics and Business.
I wanted to get Matt back on the podcast to chat about some of the big ideas he's spending a lot of time on at the moment. In this episode we cover a range of topics including:
- The current state of talent allocation - including whether there are too many entrepreneurs
- What's causing the slowdown in innovation in the West and how to halt it
- The tough problem of organising genius and successful attempts to do it
We also talk about the role of government vs business in solving big problems and how the startup ecosystem has been affected by COVID-19. This was a wide ranging conversation - Matt's one of the most interesting thinkers I've spoken to on the podcast and this didn't disappoint.
Sign up to my weekly newsletter and you'll get:
- 5x Video Lessons on the 5 key MetaLearning Principles
- 5x One-Page Cheatsheets to help you apply each principle
- The Learning Toolkit featuring my top 10 learning Apps
Enter Your Details Below for Instant Access