ML174: Barbara Oakley on Learning Like a Pro, Uncommon Sense Teaching and The Value of Procedural Learning
Barbara Oakley is an educator and writer who’s empowering people all over the world to learn more effectively.
Long time listeners will remember Barb from Episodes 46 and 115 of the Podcast where we discussed her background and her journey in education as well as her development as a thought leader.
She’s best known for her role as the lead instructor on Coursera’s Learning How To Learn, which became one of the world’s most popular online courses and her bestselling book A Mind for Numbers but in the last few years she’s created an incredible body of work including multiple books and online courses.
In this episode we discuss:
- How and why Barb is releasing not one but two books in quick succession Learn like a Pro and Uncommon Sense Teaching
- The main insights from the last 5 years of research on the learning process
- The difference between declarative and procedural memory and why that matters for learning
This was a great conversation, full of fascinating insights about the learning process that you can go away and apply straight away.
Follow Barb online
Barb’s previous MetaLearn episodes
Sign up to my weekly newsletter and you'll get:
- 5x Video Lessons on the 5 key MetaLearning Principles
- 5x One-Page Cheatsheets to help you apply each principle
- The Learning Toolkit featuring my top 10 learning Apps
Enter Your Details Below for Instant Access